Boating Maritime Accidents
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, 672 people died from boating related accidents in 2010; every year thousands more are injured. Approximately 88% of drowning victims were not wearing a life jacket. Alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in fatal boating accidents (16%). The majority of boating accidents involve power boats (48%). A catastrophic injury or wrongful death may occur as a result of many different factors and contributing causes of accidents often as the result of:
- Defective fuel systems leading to fires and explosions;
- Improper engine ventilation;
- Improper lighting;
- Impaired judgment caused by alcohol or drugs;
- Medication impairment;
- Ineffective pump systems;
- Ineffective drainage;
- Failure to maintain safety equipment;
- Power failures;
- Distracted driving (cell phones and texting)
- Improper surface treatment.
The romance and adventure conjured by thoughts of recreational boating, enjoying water sports and being on the water can sometimes end up being a nightmare. If you have been seriously injured or a loved one has been killed in a boating or admiralty accident, Davant & Associates will investigate all the circumstances, gather crucial evidence, negotiate with insurance companies and prepare you case in anticipation of trial if settlement is not quickly forthcoming.